Wednesday 27 October 2010

Mrs Robinson

I shan't bother mentioning my absence - beyond this sentence - it is utterly pointless, though I do dislike elephants in the room.

Something cultural: The Graduate recently (ironically it was showing when I last posted) visited Perth. Starring Jerry Hall, this was a major coup for such a parochial town. In the quaint venue that is His Majesty's Theatre, a hint of Broadway and West End glamour alleviated the permeating sense of "Dullsville" life. The local papers gloated daily at our successful coup. The former other half of Jagger, the model was in town. And furthermore, dating a local businessman. Curiously enough, said businessman was in attendance the night I went. Not that it's any of my business of course...

The show: well it was itself rather quaint really. It certainly hearkened back to a time of much more simple gender roles, a world with much clearer divisions; black and white. The sets were wonderfully kitsch, and reminded me often of my grandparents old house. Strange colour combinations, modernist furniture and panelling certainly were very transporting.

Of course the moment that really had people excited was Hall's nude scene. "Clever" use of silhouette left very little to the imagination, but was undoubtedly wonderfully, artistically risqué. Now Hall is clearly no actress. She certainly doesn't pretend to be. But she surprised me with her comic timing, which more than made up for what was clearly "acting". And of course, she was not there to act, hers was the star quality that brought in the numbers. And it certainly did, from all across the Oceanic region.

From this, I can only speak of how well I thought the local cast performed, especially the young girl playing Elaine Robinson. The American who played Benjamin Braddock certainly made him irritating. Self-obsessed, self-important, selfish, vacuous, vapid... I felt venomous hatred for his character by the end. I was certainly praying Mr Robinson would prematurely end his days after the discovery of the protagonists' affair.


I am embarrassed to admit I have never seen the film in full. After seeing the play, I am certainly not dis-inclined to see it properly, but I will need to be in a very patient mood that evening. Certainly the Robinson alcoholism may be whence I draw my inspiration..

4 comments:

  1. It's great to have you back! It's formerly Miss Welcome, by the way. I've completely reinvented myself since you last logged in.

    Funny you should mention The Graduate, as Marathon Man was on (in French) last night with a very young and dapper Dustin Hoffman.

    Would it be horribly out of touch of me not to know who Jerry Hall is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! New page is looking fantastic. Now I must admit I'm surprised, but I can't quite think how I know who Jerry Hall is myself... I think it must be to do with Mick Jagger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your review. I'm looking forward to reading Jerry's book. It will no doubt be added to my ever growing pile for a while.

    Glad to have you back too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Robinson does like a snort . . .

    ReplyDelete